Dr Bao Nguyen
Dr Bao Nguyen is a Lecturer in Physical Organic Chemistry at University of Leeds, where he has been from September 2012. He actively collaborates with colleagues from both the School of Chemistry and School of Chemical and Process Engineering to address current challenges in process chemistry. He is a core member of the Institute of Process Research and Development (iPRD), a flagship institute set up by the Leeds Transformation Fund.
Dr Nguyen did his PhD in Organic Chemistry at the University of Oxford, under the supervision of Dr John M. Brown FRS. He then moved to Dr Michael C. Willis’ group, where he developed the first Pd-catalysed coupling reaction employing sulfur dioxide by suppressing catalyst deactivation. Afterward, he joined Imperial College London, working in Dr King Kuok Hii’s group to delineate the nature of the palladium species in different catalytic reactions and developing separation methods for these species. He was awarded his first independent position as a Ramsay Memorial Fellow at Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London.
Current Group Members
Sannia Farooque joined BN group as a PDRA on 06/2019. She works to develop reactors and analytical tools to study and exploit water-accelerated reactions as a viable green technology. Sannia did her undergraduate and PhD in Leeds, under the supervision of Prof. Chris Rayner.
Krishna Sharma joined on January 2020 as a Research Fellow with Dr Bao Nyugen, Professor John Blacker and Professor Nik Kapur. His research work focuses on the discovery of organic reactions on water. Krishna completed his Masters by research at University of Oxford prior to which he attended St. Stephen’s College in Delhi for his undergraduate studies in Chemistry. He then moved to the University of Cambridge where he recently completed his PhD in Chemistry.
Alison McCorry joins the group in 2019 as a PhD student sponsored by AstraZeneca. She did her undergraduate study at Loughborough University. Her project will focus on developing a toolkit for application of ‘micellar catalysis’ to high value chemical manufacture
Marc Short is a student of the cP3 CDT who joined the group on July 2019. His project is a collaboration with the CCDC to develop ligand/catalyst design tools based on the CCDC database for modern catalysis. He did his undergraduate study in Medicinal Chemistry at University of York.
Samuel Boobier joined BN group on 10/2017 as a joint PhD student with Prof. John Blacker. His project focus on solubility prediction in organic solvents using computational and statistical techniques. His first degree was obtained at University of St Andrews.
Rosalie Hamill is a Leeds-grown student who joined BN group on 10/2017. She is sponsored by Syngenta and AstraZeneca to investigate electrochemical flow-reactors as a novel technology for chemical syntheses.
Joseph Sheppard is a PhD student who joined BN group on 10/2016, and is supervised by Dr Bao Nguyen and Dr Patrick McGowan. His work aim to investigate nanoparticles catalysis. Joseph is a Leeds alumni, having graduated with a first class MChem degree in 2016.
Connor Sherwin is an MChem student, working on a data oriented approach to catalyst design, in the 2019-2020 cohort. His project aims to address the current shortcoming in catalyst stability in Ullmann-Goldberg coupling.
- Antonia Feilden (MChem, 2020)
- Robin Adderley (MSc in Chemical Engineering, 2019)
- Jay Soni (MSc in Chemical Engineering, 2019)
- Thomas Dent (PhD, 2015-2019)
- Blanca Ivonne Vergara Arenas (Visiting PhD, UAMM, 2017)
- Erwin Maters (MChem 2017, Leeds)
- Sophie Robinson (MChem 2017, Leeds)
- Rachel Nicholls (PDRA, PhD 2013-2017)
- Grant Sherborne (PhD 2013-2017)
- Michael Chapman (PhD 2013-2016)
- Manuel Cervantes (visting student 2017)
- Rupert Laslett (MChem 2016, Leeds)
- Benjamin Kyffin (PhD 2015-2016)
- William Reynolds (PDRA 2014).
- Luke Power (MSc in Chemical Engineering 2017)
- James Miller (MChem 2015, Leeds)
- Lucas Homar (MChem 2014, Leeds)
- Ratanang F. Serefentse (MEng 2012, Leeds)
- Orugbani Solomon Eli (MSc 2014, Leeds)
- Olamide Shokunbi (MEng 2014)
- David Hahn (Erasmus 2011, Imperial College)
- Yarseen Shafi: MSc student in Chemical Engineering at University of Leeds in 2013.
- Patrick Foley: Clothworkers funded summer student at University of Leeds in 2013.
- Thomas McDevitt: MChem student at Imperial College London in 2011-2012.
- Simon Kaufhold (Erasmus/MChem 2011-2012)
- Filip Šebest: UROP student at Imperial College London in 2012.
- Clément Mauger Jourdan: UROP student at Imperial College London in 2011. Clément came from Ecole Normale Supérieure Paris.
- Sammy Chan: UROP student at Imperial College London in 2011. Sammy came from University of Cambridge.
- Janie Anka-Lufford: UROP student at Imperial College London in 2012.